When it comes to SEO, then backlinks are the most dominant factor which decides your search engine rankings. More number of backlinks your website or blog have , more are your chances to rank higher in google. If you are new in the world of SEO, you must be finding it hard to get what exactly a backlink is ?
don’t worry, i will explain it for you. Being simple, a backlink is a link to your website placed on some others website.
that was simple, for example if you place your website link in comments section of some other website like dollarsway.com then that link for you will be a backlink. A page with a lot of backlinks tended to rank higher on all major search engines, including Google. This is still true to a large extent.
Now that you have understand , what a backlink is . let me explain you some common terms related to backlinks.
- link juice : when a webpage links to any of your article or homepage, it passes “link juice”. This link juice will help in ranking of your article and it also improves your domain authority. As a blogger, you can stop passing link juice using a nofollow tag.
- No-follow link : when a website links to your website but the link has a no follow tag then it does not passes link juice. No-follow links are not useful concerning the ranking of a page as they do not contribute anything. In general, a webmaster uses the no-follow tag when he/she is linking out to an unreliable site.
- Example: Links from comments on other blogs.
- Do-follow link : all the links that you place on your blog post passes link juice by default.
- Linking root domains : these are the number of backlinks to your website from a unique domain. Even if a website has linked to your website ten times, it will only be considered as one linked root domain.
- Low quality links : low quality links are those links which are considered to come from harvested site, automated sites, spam sites, or even porn sites. Such links do far more harm than good. This is one reason you should be careful when buying backlinks.
- Internal links : internal links are interlinking of webpage within a same domain. this process of linking webpages within a domain is called interlinking.
- Anchor text : anchor text is the text used for hyperlink. anchor text backlinks are very usefull when you trying to rank for a ppparticular keyword.
why to increase number of backlinks ?
It is important to have backlinks from quality sites, and those backlinks should be contextual. If, for example, you have a site about fish, and you are creating links from other niche sites about monkeys, these links will be of no use. Your goal should be to get links from authoritative and relevant sites.
Now let’s take a look at why it is important for you to create backlinks to your site:
- IMPROVE ORGANIC RANKING
backlinks help in getting better search engine rankings.
If any of your content is getting organic links from other sites, that content will naturally rank higher with search engines.
Your goal should be to create links to individual posts/pages along with those leading to your homepage.
- Backlinks for faster indexing of your posts
backlinks help search engine bots discover links to your site and crawl your site effectively.
Especially for a new website, it is important to get backlinks as they help in the faster discovery and indexing of your site.
- Referral traffic
obviously, backlinks give you referral traffic and they have low bounce rate.
HOW TO GET BACKLINKS TO YOUR WEBSITE
One important fact that you need to keep in mind about backlink SEO is that it is not the number of backlinks which matters, but rather the quality of backlinks.
Try to get backlinks for your articles not for your homepage.
what are some of the ways to get quality backlinks for your blog?
- Write awesome articles
- Use Broken link building method
- Create cornorstone articles (Piller articles)
- Start commenting
- Submit to web directories
1. writing quality content for quality backlinks
Thats obvious, if you write quality content, people will want to link your article and thus you will get backlinks. That was a basic tactic.
2. Start commenting
Comments are an excellent, easy, and free way to get backlinks. Start commenting on do-follow forums and do-follow blogs.
The latest news has suggested that no-follow links don’t matter all that much, but start commenting on any blog, and you will surely benefit from some good link juice.
Commenting helps you to get solid one-way backlinks as well as more traffic and better search engine visibility.
3. Submit to web directories
submitting your blog to web directeries is yet another and simple way to get quality backlinks.
with that said, this method is not very popular these days because finding a legal web directory is not easy. You must especially avoid those web directories that ask you to create a backlink to their website to get your website into their directory.
Also important: If you are using any automatic direct submission tactics, stop doing so right away. Automatic website submissions will cause your blog to appear as spam, and it can cost you a lot in terms of your domain authority or even the complete removal of your blog from search engines.
I hope this article will help you understand the basics of backlinks in SEO, and why you should start working on getting backlinks for your blog.
Do you currently work on getting backlinks for your blog? Tell us about your experiences in the comments section below.